Get a Job >> Browse Articles >> Interview Tips

6 Illegal Interview Questions to Avoid

6 Illegal Interview Questions to Avoid

Hamsa Ramesha | AllHealthcare

Wondering which questions you’ll be asked during your job interview? You should expect the usual ones, such as “Where do you see yourself in five years?” and “What’s your greatest weakness?” But then there are more colorful questions, such as “What animal best describes you?” and “If you were stranded on a desert island, what three items would you want to have with you?” that you should brace yourself for.

Regardless of what questions get thrown your way, there are a handful of interview questions you should never be asked. Be aware — questions about subjects in these categories violate your rights:

• Age• National origin
• Birthplace• Race
• Color• Religion
• Disability• Sex
• Marital/family status

However, don’t assume an employer’s prying questions are suggestive of discriminatory intentions. Often, a hiring manager is just trying to assess your fit for the job, not trying to illegally discriminate. While you can’t be asked directly about any of these topics, don’t be surprised if you find yourself discussing your family or religion with a potential employer either. It all depends on how the question is phrased.

While it’s important to protect yourself from illegal interview questions, there are legal alternatives to get the same information out of you. Be prepared and know your options by checking out these six examples of illegal interview questions, and how they can be rephrased to pass the law.

Next: “Are You a U.S. Citizen?” >>

Cheap Ralph Lauren UK, http://www.ralphelaurenpolo.com/
    Cheap Ralph Lauren Sale, http://www.ralphelaurenpolo.com/

• Photo_user_blank_big

Drvalila

almost 3 years ago

2 comments

My question is, what can you really do about such practices? I mean it is your word against theirs and if you filed charges you might gain the reputation of being a troublemaker and never get hired in that field. I know I have been discriminated against due to my disability, as a clinician, it really doesn't matter if I can walk or run, as long as I can ethically and empathetically listen and treat my patients that's all that should matter. I have been offered employment positions over the telephone, but when I went in to inspect the location, I was told the child had been taken.

• Img_20110508_132002_max50

Suerose

almost 3 years ago

2 comments

They also ask what year did you graduate high school, which is the same as asking how old you are and not just if you are over 18.

• Photo_user_blank_big

KirstenAnthony

almost 3 years ago

2 comments

The funny thing is I had an interview in a Dentist's office that point blank asked if I was married, if I had children and how many and then the Dentist himself asked if my husband was working why did I need to get a job. I know all of it was illegal but really what do the authorities do. I can report him but I still won't get the job. The married, and children questions are RIGHT ON HIS APPLICATION. All sorts of illegal questions were.

• Photo_user_blank_big

Paramedic

almost 4 years ago

2 comments

I have a question about the weight issue. What about jobs that there are weight requirements, i.e. for Flight Paramedics/Nurses? Many have policies, requirements for weigh ins, and bluntly ask you a yes or no question on applications about if you meet their weight restrictions. Isn’t this illegal?

• Photo_user_blank_big

tnelson

almost 4 years ago

2 comments

Every job I've applied to obviously is an online application, and every online application "requires" you to enter such information as your date of birth, or the year you graduated high school, or college. some applications even ask for a social security number! I can't even meet face to face for an interview, not get one phone call, and these employers want my social security number given ONLINE? how is THAT legal? And why are these employers getting away these types of questions? if you don't enter the data, you don't get past the application process, and if you do enter the data, good luck even getting a phone call, now that they have your date of birth, AND your social security number! The whole job application process in this day and age has become so impersonal, you can't even speak to a human being after providing them with your personal information, even if it is illegal. The job market sucks, I get that. But for those of us who are unemployed are submitting resumes and providing personal information, and answering illegal interview questions online just to get no response, even if your perfectly qualified for the job.

• Photo_user_blank_big

powderpuff

almost 4 years ago

2 comments

Why bother printing such articles when no one is WILLING to prosecute employers, for violating applicants rights. Whats the point? Employers know that they will get away with asking such questions. Why tell the public that something is illegal, when the authorities WONT prosecute?

• Photo_user_blank_big

paluptak

almost 4 years ago

2 comments

Applications can ask whatever they want. One major employer in our area asks for your birthday point blank and obviously gets away with it.

• Photo_user_blank_big

Houssine2007

almost 4 years ago

2 comments

In case I tell the Interviewer that he does not have the right to ask me these questions and as a result (after an interview we don't know why another candidate was chosen over you), I lose the job. What should I do?

• Photo_user_blank_big

tealkin

almost 4 years ago

4 comments

All applications ask these vefry questions. If they are illegal then why are they on the application in the first place??

• Photo_user_blank_big

tealkin

almost 4 years ago

4 comments

If all of these questions are so iiefal then why do all the interviews and applications have then listed to be filled out??

• Img_1235_2_max160_max50

Jill

almost 4 years ago

12 comments

Great information to make sure your interview stays on the up and up.

AllHealthcare School Finder

Save time in your search for a healthcare degree program. Use AllHealthcare's School Finder to locate schools online and in your area.

Get Info