Finance >> Browse Articles >> Credit

Finance >> Browse Articles >> Debt

Finance >> Browse Articles >> Loans

Finance >> Browse Articles >> Mortgage

Finance >> Browse Articles >> Savings


5 Big Bills You Can Cut Fast

5 Big Bills You Can Cut Fast

By Leslie Geary / for The Daily News


If you’re like most people, you probably don’t pay much attention to taxes until April 15 rolls around. But taxes affect us daily, whether we’re working, shopping or saving for important milestones like retirement.

As it turns out, fall is the perfect time to trim taxes. This year, 15 states have already or soon will sponsor reprieves from sales taxes as part of back-to-school shopping. These tax holidays vary, but typically are scheduled anytime from just before the school year to about mid-October, says Craig Shearman, vice president of government affairs at National Retail Federation.

“That could mean the difference between buying new back-to-school clothes or making do with last year’s wardrobe for some families,” says Shearman.

Other ways to reduce your taxes include:

Snag the first-time homebuyer credit. Individuals who buy a dwelling from April 9, 2008, to July 1, 2009, and who haven’t had owned a primary residence for the previous three years can claim a new credit that’s worth 10 percent of a dwelling’s purchase price, or up to $7,500. The break phases out for joint tax filers with incomes of $150,000 (or $75,000 for individuals). It’s important to note that these credits are structured more like interest-free loans than true tax breaks.

Claim the 2008 homeowner’s tax break. Individuals who own their home outright or who’ve had a mortgage so long they’re mostly paying principal rather than interest may no longer qualify to itemize on their returns. Now there’s some temporary relief for them. This year, they can take $500 (or $1,000 for joint filers) of state and local property taxes as an addition to their standard deduction on their 2008 federal income tax return.

Grab breaks for low-income earners. One out of four eligible taxpayers fails to claim the earned-income tax credit, or EITC, worth as much as $4,716 a year depending on someone’s earnings, marriage status and whether they have children or other dependents. If you qualified for but didn’t claim the EITC, file an amended tax return for any previous year back to 2005.

For more tips on trimming your tax bill, read the Bankrate feature “10 often-overlooked tax breaks.”

AllHealthcare School Finder

Save time in your search for a degree program. Use AllHealthcare's School Finder to locate schools online and in your area.

* In the event that we cannot find a program from one of our partner schools that matches your specific area of interest, we may show schools with similar or unrelated programs.